Equity and Inclusion Leadership Toolkit: Leadership Development
The department chair’s role is challenging. Time is short. The task list is long. And people aren’t always nice. But by investing in yourself – both your professional development and self-care – you will be better able to serve others. Here are resources to help you THRIVE.
- AAL Chairs and Academic Administrators Management Program
- AAMC Toolkit Becoming an Effective Leader (free)
- ACE Leadership Academy for Chairs
- Council of Colleges of Arts & Sciences
- The Chair Academy (an international professional network & conference)
- The Chronicle’s Strategic Leadership Program for Department Chairs
- Tips for Designing College/ University Level Programs
- Buller, D. L., & Cipriano, R. E. (2015). A toolkit for department chairs. Rowman & Littlefield.
- Chun, E., & Evans, A. (2015). The department chair as transformative diversity leader: Building inclusive learning environments in higher education. Stylus Publishing, LLC.
- Cowley, S. (2019). Emotional labour in the role of university department chair. SFU Educational Review, 12(2), 9-26.
- Dean, Y., Nickel, J., Miller, J., & Pickett Seltner, R. (2021). Creating an Academic Ecosystem Where Chairs Can Thrive: A Call for Action in Postsecondary Institutions. Brock Education: A Journal of Educational Research and Practice, 30(2), 99-115.
- Gmelch, W. H., & Buller, J. L. (2015). Building academic leadership capacity: A guide to best practices. John Wiley & Sons.
- Gmelch, W. H., & Miskin, V. D. (2011). Department chair leadership skills. Atwood Publishing.
- Gmelch, W. H., Ward, K., Roberts, D., & Ezeh, C. C. (2018). The Stressed‐Out Swivel Chair. The Department Chair, 28(3), 9-11.
- Kandiko, C. B. (2012). Leadership and creativity in higher education: The role of interdisciplinarity. London Review of Education.